View Single Post
Old 01-09-2011, 10:01 AM   #78
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Re: My '74 build- "Clifford"

You are right on, Randy. That is exactly what I came up with looking at the clusters I had here. The pad for the speedo doesn't come in contact with the printed cirguit, and the VSS is stand alone anyway. That should work. The only thing you will have is the font on the newer speedometer is different that the rest of what you have. A gauge overlay could take could take care of that, though.

There is a white wire coming off of the coil, on the side that does not go to the distributor. That is the tach signal. Plug into that and you are good. You may need to move some wires around in the connector, but GM did a good job of keeping the colors the same, for the most part. If your cluster has an electric oil pressure gauge, it is 78/early 79. If you can get a layout of the plugs, it will show you what you need to move. I have used a paper clip (the same one I generally use to check codes with....), but I broke down and bought a set of repinning tools off of the tool truck.

edit- I painted mine with white base on the inside, and also the back of the black cover, too. I also used 168 bulbs instead of the 194's. There was a thread about getting more light, and that was the consensus, since white reflects all light. I haven't got to see it at night yet, but it's an idea.

Truckwise, I got my fuel lines ran and hooked up yesterday. I just need to drill holes for the crossmember, and it is on the ground. Then it's just hanging the sheetmetal back on, and cleaning up my mess. Man I hope all of this hassle is worth it. I've come across a couple of deals on carbed engine and OD trans combos lately. I still think I will be glad I converted to TBI, just wish it was back on the street already. I really miss driving this truck.

Last edited by Jonboy; 01-09-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote