View Single Post
Old 01-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #317
drewskiren
Lucky Teter at the wheel

Re: ** YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN** The truck Chevrolet should have built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
I like the idea but here are my $.02 for safety sake. It looks like the 01 end that you had to drill is aluminum and if so they are ok in stock form but now with the hole drilled into it their is very little "meat" left. Also aluminum is a funny metal in that it can be work hardened when used for steering and suspension parts but once you start drilling or grinding on it the heat produced will start to anneal the metal causing it to soften. Not what you want in your steering system.

So what I would do if this is the only way to hook up the steering is to take the other end of that same joint (but off a different shaft) that is metal and press the joints apart. Then re-build them so you end up with 2 steel ends that you can then weld the coupler to and not just rely on a single bolt that can end up wobbling out the hole and cause slop or a failure.

I hope this makes sense and I also hope this is coming across as for "safety" and in no way a slam on your design.

I will give you a call later about the cover and air box.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Thanks for the heads up, That hole was already there and I only had to grind it down a smidge with the cut off wheel, so it never got hot. I am probably have to redo it anyway because of a steering sensor I forgot about that rides on the shaft. I'll rebuild it like you said to be safe and because I can't weld to the aluminum anyway.

YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN (Finished with MAJOR Surgery - IT'S ALIVE!!!)

The Bride is currently under the knife!
drewskiren is offline   Reply With Quote