View Single Post
Old 01-14-2011, 12:10 PM   #4
jmlcolorado

Re: Laying Frame, Drive shaft crossmember issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin_havens View Post
Your best bet is to remove that factory crossmember, and replace it with a tubular one like Porterbuilt or Suicide Doors sells. I have one from Suicide doors, and it was not that expensive. Your other option is to do what a friend of mine did, and modify the existing crossmember. He had to cut the bottom off the factory one, and plate it so it would sit above the body. Then he had to cut the top driveshaft hoop, and put a piece of steel tubing that was bent in a U there so his one piece driveshaft would have enough roomd to articulate with the suspension. It took alot of time, and he still drug the rivets on the bottom of the factory crossmember till they were almost gone.

If you run a 2 piece shaft, either of these options are really good.

Porterbuilt carrier bearing crossmember

Suicide Doors Crossmember This is their transmission crossmember, but the Carrier Bearing one looks identical except for the mount in the middle. You have to call them to get it, but it was the same price as the transmission crossmember. I used this one because it bolted in from the side of the frame, so no chance of dragging off the bolts on the bottom.
GREAT information! THANKS!

I sat staring at the truck for an hour last night after posting and decided to try to remove the crossmember. I got it lined out to cut up and its sitting on the floor, but looking at the portorbuilt member, it looks pretty tempting!

Anyone know if it has mounts to use the factory trailing arms? It doesnt look like it on the picture on their website.

Nevermind. I found an adjustable trailing arm member.
Attached Images

Last edited by jmlcolorado; 01-14-2011 at 12:13 PM.
jmlcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote