View Single Post
Old 01-18-2011, 08:16 PM   #147
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: NV4500 swap is underway

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbclassix View Post
It will be nice to know what someone thinks of a nv4500 vs a s650. Keep us posted...
Yeah, I am anxious to drive the 8.1L behind a NV4500 as well. I think for daily use and off-roading the NV4500 will be a better trans behind the 8.1L. If you plan on towing a freight train across town the ZF S6-650 would probably be better suited since it has closer matched gear ratios between shifts that helps keep the engine RPM’s steady and in the torque band. I skip shift my ZF most of the time. Pretty much only use 1st, 3rd, and 6th when cruising around town.

Not many people realize the NV4500’s was available in production trucks with 8.1L engines in the 2001 and 2002 GMT400 3500-HD. This was the old body style 2wd truck with the I-beam front axle. They were pretty rare with 8.1's with a manual trans but they are out there. They were popular in wreckers.

The ZF S6-650 is huge compared to the NV4500!

As far as the truck……I’ve been busy with work and traveling lately so not much has really gotten done. We finished up the rust repair on the floor this past weekend and prepped the interior for Rhino lining. So now I need to get busy and get the cluster installed and the other electrical doodads hooked up then start it. I about 90% sure the hydrobooster to steering gear hose is going leak so that sucker will probably have to come off and go back to the hydraulic shop. Still no seats but have the Rhino appointment on Friday the 28th regardless if it gets driven or rides on a trailer.

DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote