View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 10:46 PM   #89
CircusWagonJim

Re: A real Unicorn, Finally 71' Cheyenne Super SWB BB

I'm going to go off the page here and remind everyone Rene says this truck has been running around like this for 20 years- at that time (especially in California where PLENTY of the trucks were still running around) NO ONE I heard of at that time was to the point of cutting down long-bed frames- and you could actually find Short Bed Big Block trucks with less than a months effort. So I would bet that it was a what it appears to be with a few things added to an early restoration. I remember when people were restoring these in the mid-eighties and going to the dealer to buy EVERYTHING you needed except paint and seat covers.
At that time there also was not nearly as much interest in reading and preserving the glove box tag- if it was dirty- you removed it and painted the door with no real concern about documentation.
That's just a perspective of someone that lived through the era- not looking at it through todays eyes.
In fact I just remembered my dad's best friend had one of the RAREST trucks I have ever seen- a black on black '72 Cheyenne Stepside with a Big-Block, Auto, A/C, buckets, tilt, P/S, P/B, tach and shoulder harnesses from the factory. It was lowered from the day he took it off the lot- and one thing I remember him being proud of was the glove box door he had CHROMED! There goes the SPID! Just wasn't a big deal- they were trucks, not Corvettes.

Last edited by CircusWagonJim; 02-01-2011 at 10:47 PM.
CircusWagonJim is offline   Reply With Quote