View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 02:26 PM   #16
blazerboy_4life
70Custom10

Re: Anybody ever heard of "Fish" Carburetors and their supposed 100+mpg??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrein3 View Post
I'm surprised we haven't heard more snake oil type things now that gas is headed back up. Before I read this post I'm quoting I was going to mention that we always hear this stuff while gas goes up in price.

Somebody should keep track. First its the 100+ mpg carb that big oil and big car companies bought the rights to.
Then we'll hear about the magnets on the gas line.
Then we'll hear about injecting hydrogen into the carb.
Then we'll hear about the air cleaner that swirls the air and improves mileage.
Then we'll hear about the split fire spark plugs that studies have shown improve mileage.

Folks its a broken record that gets spinning when gas goes up. With today's fleet fuel mileage requirements do you really think a car company is going to keep something that gets 100+ mpg on the shelf? When Ford says use 5w-20 because it gives them an across the board 0.1% increase in fuel mileage do you think they are sitting on a 100mpg carb? When Chevrolet shuts down extra cylinders at cruise on the highway do you think they are sitting on a 100 mpg carb?

What did P. T. Barnum say? "There is a sucker born every minute"

And those suckers buy lots of the above mentioned products. [I'm not saying the fish carb isn't a fine working carb, I'm just saying that it won't get 100+ mpg in a 5000 pound truck]
Oh I in no way think I im going to get any where near the 100mpg rating ive read about thats just silly. I do however think its possible to hit the 22-25mpg range on my 305 with some help.
blazerboy_4life is offline   Reply With Quote