Thread: Make it handle
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 10:44 AM   #424
triophan

Re: Make it handle

I've read and re-read the majority of this thread. I'm planning my truck (its slowly converting itself-I swear- to a toy instead of a DD).
I know, when it comes right down to brass tacks, I'm trying to make a farm tool race/make handle.
Rigidity and weight reduction/re-allocation are my primary concerns since I'm trying to shave as much weight (Power to weight ratio is improved something to the effect of +10 to 15 hp if I drop 150-200 on my 5K lb truck) and these (73-87) frames are not the best in the world for rigidity (don't even hold under the pressure of the steering box pushing offroad tires sometimes).

My question is, and I know its first-grade stuff, but what would be the suggestions insofar as weight transfer, distribution, as these trucks its about 55/45 (under the most optimistic assumption).

I've not started building my suspension, because I know that those upgrades will respond MUCH better to a frame/truck built with some minor changes. Sorry for the long/elementary question... just curious.

*also, since I may be stiffening the frame, would it do me any good to drop the cab/front end an inch? I think I've got enough room to drop the cab mounts and the core mounts an inch, I could avoid dissasembling the ENTIRE truck to shave out the crossmember. "moving the weight I have lower in addition to lowering suspension..."

Last edited by triophan; 02-17-2011 at 11:44 AM.
triophan is offline   Reply With Quote