View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011, 12:49 AM   #8
Dalaigh
Canadian Trucker

Re: to shroud or not to shroud? thats my question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomad75 View Post
I've got a completely different solution. Get rid of the flex fan junk. Go back to a stock 5 or 7 bladed clutch fan. They work. It was designed for it to run inside the shroud you already have. The clutch fan in my K5 has ALWAYS kept the engine running cool. That's even in 105 degree heat creeping along in traffic. There was a lot of engineering thought put behind the design and use of clutch fans from GM when these trucks were new. Yeah, some of the ideas (like side saddle tanks) were not the best, but the fans work. It's one of the few things that hasn't changed as clutch fans are still coming on new GM trucks to this day.

It might be harder to get a correct clutch and fan in Europe, but it might be worth looking for.
They may work, but they rob the engine of power having to spin that fan. And the OP isn't putting a flex fan on, he's putting an electric fan on, which is leaps and bound better then the antiquated clutch fan. The stock fan moves what maybe 600-700 cfm, the electric fan on my V8 S10 pushes 2150cfm and I never need to have the fan on when moving, only when idling in traffic does it turn on. E-fans are the first thing any one should do if they want to get some more power and increase the efficiency of their truck.

2020 Silverado Trail Boss - 6.2/10spd
Dalaigh is offline   Reply With Quote