View Single Post
Old 02-24-2011, 03:38 AM   #36
Torrey72
Rollin in my K5 toaster

Re: Is your Classic truck a CLASSIC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 cheyenne pdx View Post
That seems odd that you don't have to carry insurance on Collector vehicles.... I understand if it never saw a road, but if it saw any amount of driving on public roads, I would think insurance is a must. Are they thinking that Collector vehicle owners are more responsible and drive better in that car than in a newer vehicle?

I looked into here in Oregon and I didn't see any benefits to it at the time. I do have to register my truck every two years, but it is not too bad, and I am DEQ exempt, so I don't have to pay that either.
To start off. I do cover and carry insurance on all my cars. I just hold it back from showing the cops. Sorry, I get a little joy out of the reaction I get. The truth is that most Washington police officers are not aware of this. They always pull me over whenever I drive my 69 Camaro. Never the Blazer? The Plate’s # is listed under the Equipment # location and not the plate # location on my registration. When the plate is “run” by the police the camaro doesn’t show up? I have tried to have it fixed but it is the way it is supposed to be? This is true for all Washington state collector plated cars. When you use an old era correct green and white plate. Trust me, Look at your registration under the Plate # and Equipment # if you’re a WA, Collector plate guy. For the officers, I carry copies of the RCW’s (LAWs) in the glove box. Trust me, they absolutely love being schooled on the laws they enforce. The law is written with the same provision and understanding that covers Motorcycles in the state of Washington. The state feels that a classic or motorcycle gets driven so infrequently in our rainy state. That demanding insurance is a unreasonable request to make on collectors that might have several vehicles and or never drive them but six times a year.

Under the law “RCW 46.30.020 Liability insurance” At the bottom of the law is listed defined circumstances that exempt you from needing insurance… It reads…

(3) The provisions of this chapter shall not govern:
(a) The operation of a motor vehicle registered under RCW 46.16.305(1)

When you look up RCW “46.16.305” you will find section (1) that states…

(1) A horseless carriage plate and a plate or plates issued for collectors' vehicles more than thirty years old, upon payment of the initial fees required by law and the additional special license plate fee established by the department, are valid for the life of the vehicle for which application is approved by the department. When a single plate is issued, it shall be displayed on the rear of the vehicle.

So… Liability insurance is not required by law for collector vehicles.

If your into the motorcycle rule it is…

RCW 46.30.020 Liability insurance,
(3) The provisions of this chapter shall not govern:
(b) The operation of a motorcycle as defined in RCW 46.04.330, a motor-driven cycle as defined in RCW 46.04.332, or a moped as defined in RCW 46.04.304.

P.S. My 63 Impala has no seatbelts. Nor do I need them under the Wa, state seat belt law due to it‘s age. You should see the cops jump up and down over that one.
Cop: “No seat belts! No Insurance! Do you think the laws don’t apply to you?”
Torrey: (with a big smile on my face) “No Sir, No I don’t.”
Torrey72 is offline   Reply With Quote