View Single Post
Old 02-27-2011, 01:32 AM   #1229
Rokcrln

Re: LFD's low buck truck build!

Making more progress! Worked on wiring today as well as the gauges.
I got the speedo all mounted but now I am waiting on a blue LED for the high beam indicator. It worked out really well I think for the price and the time involved to make it happen. The speedo centered up on the lip that is on the factory stamped steel face plate so all I had to do was cut a nice neat hole in the backing plate to allow the speedo to poke through. I just used the cardboard holder the gauge came in for the circle and then cut it out with a 3" die grinder. Then a small amount of cleanup with a flap wheel on the other die grinder and it was ready. This gauge has a cheap feeling holder ring that is made to tighten down on to what ever you cut your hole in and slide the gauge through. So I simply used the same ring but I spaced it up some so the cluster backing plate would sandwich it in place once it was all screwed back together. I made the mistake of using a raiser blade to try and remove the old MPH markings only to find out a small amount of thinner worked great with out the scratching. So now I need to polish it a bit before it goes into the truck.

Then I moved on to the new wiper set up. Talk about an easy up grade to do in an hour or two. It now has a intermittent setting that goes from about once every 15 sec to once a second and a half and anywhere in between. The it also has low and high speed that is more up to date with todays speeds. The system came ready to bolt in and just plug together BUT I had to change things up a bit for my tastes. After following the very simple instructions I had the motor installed and test fit the 2" cube wiper switch. I noticed the shaft extension that was on the switch was a bit loose once I installed the switch so I pulled it off and used lock tight on the threads for good measure. Then I also noticed the pig tail extension they give to plug it all in was not needed with my truck so I figured I would just not use it so I could avoid any extra wire under my dash but when I pulled the pig tail out I found that both the motor and the switch had the same male spade terminals so it would not plug into it self. So I just cut off the spades from the switch end as close to the spades as possible because I could not afford to loose much length off the harness. Then I just put on new female spades and added some heat shrink tubing to it and it was ready to install. The after running a ground and acc. Hot lead it was complete.

If you drive your truck in anything but perfect weather I highly recommend this up grade from NewPort engineering!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Attached Images

Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote