View Single Post
Old 03-02-2011, 02:58 PM   #14
69sixpackbee

Re: add air conditioning ? 1972 C10

The BEST thing you could do is go all OEM. Piece it together and just graft the firewall portion from a donor truck. Very little fabrication needed. The only real cutting is for the ball and upper center vents which, you would have to do anyway using the cheesy plastic louvers supplied by the after'mkt folks.
It will work better and you will be much happier....trust me I have been there and done that! If you do go with the original POA system (which I strongly suggest you do, DO NOT remove the POA in favor of the "El Cheapo" **POA Eliminator** kits that you have seen. Re-calibrate the POA to 27PSI for use with 134A (if you go that route) and get a good pump. I am using a Sanden 5-cylinder unit myself but if you want to keep it OEM'ish you can get a good dual-lipped front seal A-6 compressor or the new style The Pro6TEN Compressor which utilizes all of the OEM hoses in the stock location. Get a good parallel flow condenser with the maximum surface area as you can stuff in there. Some of the after'mkt folks have these in the correct size and configurations. Put all of the factory components in right down the the cowl flapper. This will put you way ahead of the rest of the pack (with the exception of this author ) and you will be glad you did. None of the aftermarket suppliers will give you the fresh air blending option like the factory "Four Season" system had and you will be stuck with a system that is sub-par (in my opinion) for your application.

Your dollars, your decision.

Bud

Last edited by 69sixpackbee; 03-02-2011 at 02:59 PM.
69sixpackbee is offline   Reply With Quote