View Single Post
Old 03-11-2011, 11:32 PM   #2
clinebarger

Re: TV cable adjustment damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywolf200 View Post
I got a rebuilt 700R4 from a performance transmission builder and am having some problems. Reverse is good, first gear is good, 1-2 shift is good, second gear is good, but third gear doesn't pull. The TV cable is adjusted per the instructions on the Bowtie Overdrive site. Push the housing all in, wide open throttle and 3/8 to 1/2 slack at the carb. The builder is trying to say the problem is TV cable adjustment has damaged the tranmission. There has never been a 1-2 problem. What could the problem be and how can I know the builder isn't trying to charge me for waurranty work?

I appreciate any feedback, thanks.
Sounds to me like the 3-4 clutches are burnt up. I agree with the builder on a misadjusted TV cable/geometry can do that real quick, BUT its the builder/seller responsibility to tell you that there is no warranty if the TV cable is not adjusted correctly. The ONLY way to verify that is with a pressure gauge BEFORE you drive it. (2-4 lbs preload at idle, & bury the TV plunger at WOT) The #1 & #2 killers of the 700R4s 3-4 clutch pack are low fliud level. #3 is Low line pressure/line pressure rise when shifting into 3rd.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote