View Single Post
Old 03-14-2011, 08:20 PM   #16
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Over 25 Years Later, Finally My 71 C-10 Truck Build

I had a short work day today, so I got some garage time. I started by cleaning up my work bench a bit. I was struggling to find space to mix primer and clean the gun, etc.

But while I was doing that, I was letting the guide coat set up.

Started sanding the hood and top of the cab. It's going alright, not perfect, but much better. I think I'll just have some spots to fix and it'll be good to go.

This is the biggest low spot so far. I also had one small spot on the top front corner of the cab. Easy fix.

The first 2k primer I used was from transtar and was recommended by a local body shop as what they normally use. Not having any other experience, I went with it and was not happy with how it sanded. I had also used SEM guide coat, which seemed very heavy to me, not just how I sprayed it, but it just seemed thick and spattery, which also made sanding harder.

This time I used the Summit 2k primer and a duplicolor guide coat (also from summit) and what a world of difference. The primer was thicker and I had some trouble spraying it with my 1.8 tip gun, but it was filling better. I kept it thick when I was spot spraying, then added some more reducer for whole panel spraying and it was fine. The duplicolor guidecoat is much lighter and almost like spraying dust.

This combination was much easier to sand. Can't even compare the 2. The transtar would clog up the paper in a few strokes, faster if you hit the epoxy. I was constantly clearing it or replacing it. The summit sands great and I had no problems with clogging the paper. I would blow it off with air sometimes, but I did not have to replace it once during the sanding I did today.

Transtar= bad, summit= much better. I can't say its great because I haven't used anything else, but it worked great for me and was about half the cost of the transtar. I saved me money in paper also, which I also got from summit in rolls, and has been working good.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote