View Single Post
Old 03-19-2011, 01:21 AM   #22
seldomseen65
spirit rider66

Location: pahrump, nevada, in the bowels of the Mojave desert
Re: Over 25 Years Later, Finally My 71 C-10 Truck Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Been a few days, time for an update. Yesterday I spoke with the local paint rep for Martin Sr about their products. They supply the local Napa and he gave me some tips, etc. Then today I was at the local body shop and talked to them a bit more about what I was doing, what my plans for progression were, and got some more (and conflicting) advice. I'm also going to check the other part store in town that handles Dupont and Nason products.

I was doing more blocking today and during that, when the mind tends to wander, I was thinking about a pneumatic in-line sander and if it would make this job easier. The body shop was dubious and said I was 'cheating', but loaned me a sander anyway. All I can say is that it has pros and cons. They will be doing some painting next week and said I could watch if I was around and learn. My main worry is that I know my own habits of laying it on too heavy and getting runs and/or orange peel. I want to see how the gun should be spraying, how heavy the coats should be, what it should look like when sprayed properly, etc. I think it will help me a lot to see it in person and not a picture in a book or online, or from a DVD.

Pros: definitely faster, seemed to leave a pretty smooth finish using 180 grit, and it didn't load up too bad.

Cons: The sander was pretty hefty and not really a shoulder saver for the work like I thought it would be. I was pretty tight between the shoulder blades after a couple hours work. It's a total air hog and I had to stop and let the compressor catch up more than any other tool I have. Sandpaper did load up more than hand sanding. I was also having some problems with the sander bogging down, not sure why, drops of oil didn't help. Probably just a well worn tool.

Anywho, on to the progress and pics. Sanded some more, found a few lows and highs, but just a few. Overall, it is coming out pretty flat and I won't have too much rework to do.

Got most of the hood done.

About 90% of the driver door and bedside done.

Then turned the truck around and got most of the other door done.

Then got a start on the pass bedside. The lower portion had the most work done and I wanted to see how it came out. Pretty good, but needs a little more work done.
the whole job on the sanding is looking great ,,learning from you at this time ,,,I also am at the point of starting to do some more work on the side of the bed on my truck,,,thanks for the pics,,doing good