View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011, 05:33 PM   #26
Altec
Getcha Pull

Re: 1981/86 K10 Short-Bread

Been cleaning today, but have gotten a couple minutes to swap out the tie rod.

First I measured a common point on the tie rod (Center of the grease zirk) to the edge of the turn-buckle. Which believe it or not was exactly 6.5".

So after I knew that I put the old tie rod in the vice and loosened the clamps. Then took a flat blade driver to break the tube free. Using a chain wrench I spun the clamp off. Even the weight of a freaking firetruck brake drum I was moving the vice all over the place... Looked like I was dancing with it.

Got it though. Then the new one went on, set, and locked down.

Through some flat black on it. Gonna get Hammered paint when on the truck. Just didn't want to worry about rust...

PRETTY!!!!

edit,

Posting this as a note for myself. Decided on a course of action for the rear. Gonna hose the U-bolt on the donor for a week, then take a impact and try to get them off. After I get the axle out I am going to pull the cover and make sure it is good to go. Then I'm going to rip the brakes apart and clean everything up. I am going to replace the brake cylinders, and put a set of pads on. Then put the cover back on, fill it, and clean/paint it.

Need to order a set of leaf spring bushings as well. I want to have it all ready so when the axle is done I can transfer the leaf springs to it, and bolt it up for the final time.

I'm keeping the current front axle and pulling the gears from the donor truck. As well the donor has a nice set of WARN manual hubs. Do that and clean up the rotors. Top them with new calipers, and pads. Can you tell I'm worried about brakes? I don't want to build something I wouldn't feel comfortable having anyone drive...
'96 Integra

Last edited by Altec; 03-22-2011 at 02:58 AM.
Altec is offline   Reply With Quote