View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011, 01:34 AM   #1
jumbo

tbi 350 to carb conversion....

The wiring on my tbi is beyond fubar'ed, I'm calling Uncle and going carbed. At least for now, just to get it to run. So here's the skinny:

I have a 1989 GMC Suburban with the TBI 5.7L motor, with the 700R4 tranny (supposedly). My father in law has several carbed 350's at his house, he said i could use whatever i need off those. I know i'll need the intake (are there different intakes that fit the 89 block, or are they all pretty much the same?), a carb, HEI distributor, and fuel regulator to choke down the fuel pressure to carb. Anything else? I've done some research online and found some people that say i need a TV Cable or something? or a switch to lock the tranny? what up with dat?? I know it's not a 4L80-E because they only offered those starting in the 91 burb, so i know it's not electronic. Am i missing anything else? Please don't start with the "why go carb, you gotta keep that tbi" threads, as i said, the wiring for the tbi is beyond jacked (missing plugs, missing plug ends, relays on firewall with no idea what they're for, nothing labeled or color coded, etc, etc.), i just want the damn thing to run for more than 30 seconds so i can enjoy it for a little bit. I'll probably eventually rip out ALL the wiring and go with a new painless tbi harness and complete vehicle harness, or something, i just need it to run, like NOW! Any help will be much appreciated.
jumbo is offline   Reply With Quote