Thread: Make it handle
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2011, 07:43 AM   #452
Scot_Douglas

Re: Make it handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkersan View Post
Something else I had rattling around in my head recently about IRS. With the huge reduction in un-sprung weight on a IRS, is it the overall weight that is keeping more people from using this type of setup? Complexity maybe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow4dr View Post
Cost & Complexity would be my #1 & #2 reasons
I didn't weigh things when I changed the rearend out, but the Tbird IRS didn't seem to weight a whole lot more than the 12 bolt and trailing arms and associated parts.

Complexity? What? Instead of two pivot bushings to replace in the old trailing arm suspension, I have (I think) 14 or 15 total in this bird rear end. Totally overlooked that one when shopping around. I planned on shortening my wheelbase 5" and going with a 4-link solid axle. When I looked at DOM tubing, rod end and other associated prices - the $150 for this IRS unit seemed like a steal! Not to mention it came with disc brakes.

Of course, I checked the bushing prices AFTER I started the install. Live and learn.

I am excited to see how the truck rides and handles with the mods I've made - I didn't start out to build a truck for the track - but the more I read here and see what can be done with what we have, the more excited I am to try an autocross or two with it.
Scot_Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote