Thread: Make it handle
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2011, 11:11 AM   #454
Scot_Douglas

Re: Make it handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow4dr View Post
Luckily, the trucks track width and frame rails are wide enough to house many of the factory takeouts available. I tried to use a C4 Vette IRS in an early Nova. I had two options here, expensive wheels with huge backspacing or cut everything down(halfshafts, batwing, control arms, tie rods etc) to shorten the track width to make it fit in the car. When it was all said and done I would have had to do both to make it fit and work properly. At the end of the day even the more expensive and rare Dana 44 option still wasn't capable of holding very much HP when abused(which I had full intentions of doing). I ended up buying a 9" and made a custom 3-link with a watts link for the price I sold the C4 vette IRS for. If I had to do the same thing today I would use the GTO or G8 IRS.
Well, with my application - and I am not discounting my ignorance / lack of experience - I couldn't keep the rear frame rails because they got in the way of upward travel. I think the 6"-7" drop in the rear is the culprit there though. :LOL: truckirs.com uses the same rearend under an old ford and durned near make it a bolt-in affair.

The wms-to-wms of the bird IRS is 63.5"; I'm using 1" adapter plates / spacers on each side for a 7.5" wide wheel with a 38mm negative offset (2010 Camaro).

Last edited by Scot_Douglas; 03-24-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Scot_Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote