View Single Post
Old 03-25-2011, 05:21 PM   #17
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Re: C notched and dropped???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-PMD-GMC View Post
But my main question was, and possibly not worded correctly, are people going overboard on this slamming thing to the point of absurdity???
A truck laying on its frame looks dumb to me and cool to others.
But, in a nutshell, some trucks look down right unsafe... to the driver and others on the road...
I personally love the look of a truck laying frame. But if a truck "lays frame", meaning the frame or any suspension components touch the road when aired out, it is unsafe and may even be illegal due to violating "scrub line" requirements.

Only exception is a truck with removable bump stops. Get to a show or cruise in, remove the bumpstops, air out the truck. It can be done, and would be cool if engineered into the design.

I saw a real world application of the importance of "scrub line" about 15 years ago. I drove up on a guy in a "patina'd" 47 Ford Coupe whose car was literally facing the wrong direction up on a sidewalk. His front right tire went flat, and the car had stepped lower a-arms. When the right front tire went flat the lower a-arm dug into the asphalt and it spun him up onto the sidewalk, in his own words "in an instant". You could see where the a-arm had dug out the asphalt. Luckily no pedestrians were on the sidewalk and the speed limit was 35, so he wasn't traveling that fast. Still tore his car up pretty bad though.

There is a lot of thought that goes into the design of stock suspensions by Engineers that go through "worse case" real world scenarios. Scrub lines are one of those designed in features.

I have never understood why anyone would intentionally build a suspension that when totally aired out -and/or- when a tire goes flat, that the suspension would rub the road. This leaves you with little, if any, control over the steering of the vehicle. I guess I am more of a function drives form kind of guy, with safety taking job one priority when making modifications. Life is to short to trust an air bag or a tire with you or your loved ones life.

Something to think about?
Attached Images

Last edited by lakeroadster; 03-25-2011 at 05:28 PM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote