View Single Post
Old 03-31-2011, 09:04 PM   #15
4pilgrim4

Re: 700R-4 Overdrive Downshifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlocksRule View Post
I've never seen any 700R4 build that recommended towing in OD, that's one of the weak points of this tranny.
I tow a good bit, my 4L80E doesn't care.
That is the reason I'm inquiring -- i.e., I've been warned about this from several other sources. Also the failure that got me to the shop in Pomona was due to a hard-part failure from towing in O.D.

However, the rebuilder specifically told me towing in O.D. was OK with the size trailer and axle ration (3.73) I had with the later model transmission he had rebuilt. Actually, it would be quite disagreeable to tow in 3rd with the engine RPM's required for 55 - 60 MPH travel. (know, because it wouldn't run in 4th from about 100 mi north of the Bakersfield exit down to Pomona.)

So I suspect he set it up so the engine would never produce anywhere full torque or power in O.D. I guess I would call the strategy successful since I have towed approx 15K miles that way. But I have often wondered when the next episode might occur. There really isn't much warning.

I think I'll keep my eye out for a 4L80 and transfer case. Might just save the day sometime.

Thanks for the responses. Much appreciated.
4pilgrim4 is offline   Reply With Quote