View Single Post
Old 04-06-2011, 04:35 PM   #12
DetroitDan

Re: How about some pics of 73-91 crew cabs

the dual wheels on that wheelstander reminded me of this guy I know, he used to build multi-engine tractor pullers. He built a 2wd rcsb that's sort of a cross between a stepside and a dually, built the bed custom. It's got dually wheels and street tires, 454/th400 in the front, and a blown alcohol hemi facing backwards in the back. Driving around it just looks like a guy delivering a race motor (it's street legal). On the track he used the 454 to get it moving, then at about 70mph he'd hit the second pedal and the hemi took over. All it did was light up the tires and make it squirrelly, 235/85/16 10 ply truck tires have no interest in playing that game. On paper the truck will supposedly do just over 200 mph, but obviously you can see where traction is a problem.
Not knowing anything about multi-engine setup, my first question was what's going to stop the high revving 2200hp hemi (6 gallons of alcohol in a 1/4 mile!) from eating the stock 454? Well, nothing I guess, because after only a few runs the hemi ate the 454. So now he is building a 4.3 v6 Chevy for it. Why? I haven't a clue. Maybe he thinks it will withstand a sudden, crank driven over rev better than the heavy big block. But now it will probably be a wheelstander, if it ever hooks up that is.
Sorry, no pics, but its not a crewcab so I couldnt put it here anyway.