View Single Post
Old 04-12-2011, 01:15 PM   #120
cayoterun

Re: 84 GMC C2500, V12 powered

If I can catch a day with low wind, I'll take the generator and sawzall over and cut all the firewall from the van. I'm almost afraid to run the generator and saw over there we're so dry and windy.
It looks like this whole country is going to burn up with grass fires this year due to high winds and dry weather.
Sat. and Sun., we fought 60mph winds from Okc to Amarillo. Grass fire smoke and blowing dirt were real bad on I-40 in some places with blown over trailers in the ditch. We'd slowed down to 40mph or less and the trailer still shook like a leaf.
We've had two fires come within 1/2 mile of the house. Others have burned up homes, trailer parks, businesses, you name it.
Had one while gone, came within 3/4 mile of the house. Neighbors not so lucky, firefighters saved their house and most barns, but lost some other stuff. No way to guess how many miles of pasture fence they lost.

If anyone one is traveling thru the plains states, please watch any cigarettes, or anything that might cause a spark. Trucks and cars with hot blown tires are setting alot along the hiways. The fires travel about as fast as the wind is blowing.

Back to important stuff---trucks.
If I can get the van firewall and doghouse grafted in the '84, it will work out ok, but the rear of the doghouse will come within about 12" of back of cab, and up to the bottom of windshield. I am watching the pasture junk yards and ebay for an older fat fender truck that I'd maybe use the '84 frame, but set the cab back, extend the fenders, running boards, and turn it into an open motor hot rod of sorts. Using a later truck with open motor don't appeal to me.
Maybe after this break, and with you guys help, maybe I can get out of the doldrums.
A good 3" slow rain would perk everybody up more than anything.
Wish we were closer together, so you could give me some new ideas.
Cayoterun

I think I'll do it myself and pay the extra $500.

Last edited by cayoterun; 04-12-2011 at 01:29 PM.
cayoterun is offline   Reply With Quote