View Single Post
Old 04-22-2011, 07:47 AM   #240
special-K
Special Order

Re: Trucks Are Beautiful

Hey thanks for the appreciation,Larry. American truck history has it's grips on me. I am learning more all the time. I always knew trucks were built from combined components,often sharing drivetrains with other makes. But,to see companies I'm familiar with built trucks I never knew about is stifling.Made to order. Some blur the line between tractor/heavy equipment and truck. Just cabs really get me. To see the same cab used on so many trucks is way cool. It shows that was the least significant part. You built the truck as needed,then it's"What the heck can we do for a cab? Here's one. We'll just slap one of these on there and fab up a front end to fit" Actually,it's a pretty expensive component to make that is more economical to buy from a company and help then recoup their tool & die investment. They become disguised up there within the truck somehow anyway. I always wondered,as a kid,if some trucks just looked a hella lot alike or is one company made the other with a re-badge or,as it turns out,the one company bought from the other. IH cabs are sitting on the later Pacifics and those older Hendricksons. I never even heard of these companies until I found out about the American Truck Historic Society and went to a national show. I know it sure gets my interest. I'm glad to hear some others like 'em,too.
I think of Macks,Whites,and Internationals as your common economic fleet rigs. But,taking a closer look they are all over the history map. I don't know all the ins and outs of the business. But I know it hasn't been an easy road (get it?...road/trucks?...give it a minute). White gets me all confused trying to follow ownership just since the '70s. That and the other companies involved,like Freightliner,Volvo,Mercedes,Sterling,GM,Ford...what??? All intermingled here and there. It's cool that back in the day there were truck lines manufactured by freight companies. Imagine that. Things sure change in the economy and trucks sure have played a huge part in 20th century American history.

Mo' Mack:
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote