70LonghornCST

Re: 1970 Chevy Longhorn Restoration progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRENCHBLUE72 View Post
Awesome build I'm tuning in..
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hick View Post
I been looking thread the last 2 pages and wasn't able to find it, but what are you using the blast this with?

Not the media but the blaster it self... I am debating whether I want to do this my self when the time comes or pay to have it done...
I use a gun similar to this:

It only has a small chamber on the top of the gun, hence, it needs to be refilled often. It's still waaaay better than sandpaper!
I got mine at Harbor Freight for about $30. Don't use sand like I did. There is a risk of contracting silicosis due to the silicon dioxide that is produced from the silica in sand. I'd recommend using glass beads. The walnut shells that I used didn't work too well from rust removal. You'll still need a blasting hood, rubber gloves, and a respirator. I'd also do your blasting outdoors.

It really depends on how much stuff you want to blast on whether you should get a setup, or pay to have it done. The size of the parts is a factor as well. For small parts, what I have works well. Large panels are better off sent out, or using Rapid Strip pads and an angle grinder. I don't know what the cost is to have parts blasted, but it's sure nice to have the convenience of the blaster at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeroyue2002 View Post
Hmm i never do wear any protection when i use the sandblaster at work
Posted via Mobile Device
Were you using a blasting cabinet or open air? Also, was it indoors, or out...and did you use sand?
1970 Chevy Longhorn
  • Bucket Seats
  • Shoulder Belts
  • Front Tow Hooks
  • Factory Air
  • Factory Speedwarning, Tach & Vaccum
  • Factory Tilt
  • CST Package
  • AM/FM Radio
  • Bumper Guards
Richard

70 Longhorn CST Build

Adding an AM/FM Decal

Last edited by 70LonghornCST; 04-29-2011 at 09:31 PM.
70LonghornCST is offline   Reply With Quote