View Single Post
Old 04-30-2011, 09:37 PM   #9
jltait

Re: 87 Crew Cab 454/TH400 to Cummins/NV4500

Once the clutch master cylinder and pedal kit were installed I could move the truck out of the workshop and move on to prepping the engine and Transmission. I knew the Cummins rear main was leaking as this showed up while I had it running briefly on my test stand. I replaced the rear main with a Fel-Pro part that was inscribed made in the USA. Here are pictures of rear main replacement. The aluminum seal housing does not need to be removed for the seal replacement but if you do remove it the pan seal will be broken and you may need a new pan gasket at that point. I left the seal housing in place. I used two self tapping machine screws, screwed them into the seal 180* apart and pulled the seal with a wrecking bar supported by a piece of wood. Mine actually almost fell out, the seal had actually spun in the aluminum housing, nut sure what would cause this. First picture is after the old seal was removed and the second is with the new fel pro seal installe. The (This)seal kit comes with driver that is use to drive the seal into place and also has a lip to prevent driving it in to far.
Attached Images

Last edited by jltait; 04-30-2011 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Forgot to attach pictures
jltait is offline   Reply With Quote