View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 11:30 PM   #16
rickpilgrim

Re: Chevy 400 sb cooling headaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic View Post
Honestly, I think a gas motor for this situation is the wrong direction. I have a feeling the new motor you are having built will probably get 8 MPG or less when heavily loaded.

A Cummins 6BT swap would give much better power and gas mileage. Yes diesel costs a little more, but they maintain better gas mileage when loaded and they are an industrial grade engine, which means that motor is going to have a very long useful life.
In the stop and go yard care world, diesel lawnmower yes. Now the truck you start, drive 3 mi, park for 35 minutes, restart go 5 city blocks, park for 50 min, restart, go 2 blocks, stop and mow lawn 40min, repeat repeat repeat 10 hrs day, 5 days a week. The 93 dually was a diesel, it only took 3 6.5 TD to go 115K mi. I also have an 82 2500 that was a 6.2, It had a crate motor(6.2) that had just been installed-that made 37K miles. So you say GM diesel is junk? We killed a 1996 F450 powerstoke 7.3 in 71K mi, and that was only part time for mowing, and Dodge? My local dealer sold us his personal 3500 lariet 4x4 with only 51K mi in 2005 and when we lost the truck in a lawsuit in spring 2008 it had a new crate cummings in it. NO more diesel trucks for us. They do have better power, are a bit better in milage, get stolen if you leave them run unattended and cost between $5500 to $7942 to replace engines in. We leased a Duramax in 2008 and let it go in late 2009 as it was injectors, injector wiring harness, egr failure, ecm needed reflash, TCC malfunction all in 2 yrs, fixed under warranty for sure but I don't like paying 4 weeks a month for a truck we only get to use 3 weeks a month 'cause it's at Koceuric Chevy again.

Last edited by rickpilgrim; 05-03-2011 at 11:36 PM.
rickpilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote