View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 11:11 PM   #38
2fast55

Re: Needed a new toy. Why a Blazer? Why NOT a Blazer?!?!

I cut the rear of the front fender today and got some pics. I should get the front box cut off and reshaped in the next few days. I was hoping to have this thing on the road this summer, but summer is getting really close and I've got a long way to go. This thing eats hours so fast I'm not sure when I'm going to get it done. At least I have most of the drivetrain ready to go as soon as I get through the major time-suck of bodywork.

Laid out the new curve with a piece of masking tape.

Cut a wedge out. I saved the removed piece to help lay out the second side. Run your cut higher than where you want to start changing the curve to help smooth the transition.

Cut off the lower section of fender edge and line it back up with the bottom of the fender. Make some relief cuts to help flex the rest of the edge back to where you cut out.

Make a piece to fill in the gap left from separating the edge.

A gazillion tack welds later, grind it all smooth. I don't have perfect metal working skills yet, so mine will take some body filler to make the work invisible.

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
- Albert Einstein
2fast55 is offline   Reply With Quote