View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 11:22 PM   #149
mjensen

Re: 69 GMC "Ol' Blue"

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkytechmonkey View Post
mjensen... I am in the same boat as you. I’m just about to finish up my suspension and want to do all the replacement panels..... but I am very intimidated. How did you get started on this? Did you just start this and learn as you go? I really have no idea where to start. I just learned how to weld working on my suspension (welding in come notches). so I pretty scared I will screw something up pretty bad.

BTW... do you have the measurements on your roll around for the cab? I’d like to build one for mine.

Thanks for doing this thread. It really helps us rookies!!!
I started by reading all the posts I could find on this wonderful site (there are a lot of them on cab repair). I was very intimidated at first, but after taking copious notes and measurements I started dicing away. My only suggestion would be to make small cuts and trim the parts down with a grinder to get them to fit, and only cut the minimum necessary to replace the damage. I know that it probably would have been best to go up to the body line on the cab corner, but I didn't trust myself to get that line right after welding the new piece back in. Take your time and plan on 3 times as long as you think as you will be fitting, tacking, grinding, fitting, tacking and grinding .

As far as the dolly, I'll get measurements for you and post them here in just a few minutes. I'll even give you my suggestions on what I would change with it (it's a little too tall and a little too wide).

Thanks for looking, I really appreciate the encouragement. It's been fun, frustrating, exciting, and nerve racking all at the same time

'69 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 Build Thread
mjensen is offline   Reply With Quote