View Single Post
Old 06-01-2011, 06:31 PM   #148
TheWhiteElephant
God is good!

Re: 1973 K20 Build Thread

The next thing you should always do when replacing ball joints is to also replace your axle u-joints. I sprayed all 4 shafts with silver Rustoleum.
Name:  IMG_1598.JPG
Views: 5459
Size:  94.3 KB

I chose to go with the stronger non-greasable Spicers. I ordered them from Superior Axle, paid $60 shipped.

I have to say though that I had some issues with these. To be fair, I screwed up the installation on the first one. DO NOT do this...

Name:  IMG_1600.JPG
Views: 5352
Size:  104.2 KB

I tapped the cups in with the hammer and then pressed them in with the rented ball joint press. It was pretty tight. I believe I may have dislodged the bearings when I was tapping the cup with the hammer because I heard a snap and then...
Name:  IMG_1602.JPG
Views: 5632
Size:  84.9 KB

Needless to say, I was pretty pissed. I then installed the other one with the press alone, but the shafts seemed to be binding as I was moving them around. The C lock rings fit on there REALLY tight. It just didn't seem like they fit right, and it took a lot of effort to press them in. I just didn't like the way it felt.

In the end, I removed the Spicers and went to O'reilly's to get the Precision Super Strength non greasables. I'd be pretty surprised if there was a difference in strength. Here they are for comparison...

Name:  IMG_1604.JPG
Views: 5333
Size:  87.8 KB

So $60 bucks down the drain. Here is the correct way to press in the U joints. I also used a socket (I forget the size) with the press to press them in fully...

Name:  IMG_1606.JPG
Views: 5335
Size:  101.2 KB

The C snap rings on these felt just right, and I could feel absolutely no binding after installation. I don't know what it was, as I know "everyone" uses the Spicers, but I just couldn't figure it out. Someone told me I should have tapped the outside of the axle shafts near the caps to kind of make the bearings settle.

I've used the Precisions before, and apparently they are also made in the USA, so at this point I'm just moving forward.

"It takes a smart man to know when he's stupid." -- Barney Rubble

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=430367

Last edited by TheWhiteElephant; 06-01-2011 at 06:43 PM.
TheWhiteElephant is offline   Reply With Quote