View Single Post
Old 06-05-2011, 12:16 AM   #6
R.L.

Re: Engine bay clean up.

cdowns is right, I removed my inner fenders and could stand in the engine bay and work on my firewall but I have a l6. I took it a little at a time and it took me months; if I didn't feel like working on the truck say after work I didn't so when I did work on the truck I wasn't rushed and did a better job then if I had hurried and got sloppy. I started by cleaning everything and I got every bit of old grease and sand off that firewall then I took old news papers and taped the transmission and engine off and painted the hardest area first, the trans tunnel; later I worked out to the fender removing the break booster and wiring. I wiped the surface with paint thinner after cleaning and sanding then I panted the surface and reassembled after drying usually took a couple of afternoons to do this. When I finished with one side I moved on to the next removing the heater box cleaned everything I could get to lube everything and you can take a hobby brush and touch up anything you can't get to spray, take your time and go all the way around the Eugine bay battery trey radiator and mounts under the hood all are flat black or the red I plan on painting the outside of the truck. Oil the threads of every nut and bolt you remove then paint with your touch up brush after reassembly you know you will never be trough with the thing but it will be easier to disassemble the next time clean and lubed.
You'll be rerunning wires and straiting out old plumbing before you know it, zip ties electrical tape and armorall your wires hoses and rubber bumpers .
Just start in one place and don't move from that place till you've done all you can to it then move over and work on that place till you go all the way around and get back to where you started take your time you will be glad you did.
R.L. is offline   Reply With Quote