Thread: The Brown Truck
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011, 11:24 PM   #161
SFTorange

Re: The Brown Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by structures View Post
I think the progress has been great. I thumbed back thru your build but didn't find any specifics on the a/c. That's the vintage air right? How's that install going? Vintage Air's unit is kind of a custom install right? It seems like from looking around I see some guys mount them high and block off the glove box, others mount them lower. Yours seems lower, I like that. Was there a template?
It's funny that you mentioned this. I was just thinking that I never posted details about my a/c in my build thread. I started a more specific thread about a/c this winter that details my decision making. It has some pics and details about other people's projects. TR65's install photos really helped me with my decision. I ended up going with Vintage Air's setup thanks to Mark (Coolair)'s support and suggestions for how to make the system work.

You can see the thread with more details here.

I ordered a complete Gen IV Magnum system. The evaporator unit is the universal kit, but the condenser is specifically designed for my '66. Mark also set me up with the needed parts to use Vintage Air's cable converter setup which will allow me to utilize my original deluxe controls. It'll be some work to get everything set up (the cable converters are actually designed for a '69 Camaro), but I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out. I should have some progress on the installation soon, so stay tuned to my build thread.
There weren't any templates, but the instructions show you the basics of how to install the box under the dash. I ended up measuring a bunch and staring at it for several hours before drilling any holes.

If you look at TR65's installation, he set it up so that he didn't have to drill any holes in the firewall. I'm not worried about that, so I had more freedom to mount the box lower and still retain some room in the glove box.

Here are some pictures of the Vintage Air cable converters mounted up to my factory controls. They were super easy to install. I'm really excited to have electronic controls with my stock dash. I still need to trim the extra length off of the mounting straps.

By the way, after calling a bunch of dealers for quotes, I placed my order from Curt's Rod and Custom in Lake Park, MN. He quoted me great prices, AND free shipping. I had my a/c setup direct from Vintage air in exactly one week.

I also picked up some #1 welding cable to use for battery cables.
Attached Images

SFTorange is offline   Reply With Quote