View Single Post
Old 06-25-2011, 02:40 PM   #92
7T2

Re: The Good, The Bad and Ugly from Harbor Freight

Quote:
Originally Posted by blime81 View Post

Dies: I manufacture a product that involves threading rod. Trust me you are better off collecting the sizes you need in quality taps and dies over time than buying the "every size included" HF set.
I know this is a Harbor Freight thread, but since you mentioned them I thought I would throw out my ever-loving praise of CRAFTSMANS tap and die sets. I got both complete sets (standard and metric), along with the extra bigger add-ons that fit in the SAE case, and I think I was still under $200 after everything was said and done. That was 10+ years ago, and I honestly don't know what the return policy is on them because I don't think I have ever damaged one! Easily one of my top ten "most used" tool purchases. When working on an old vehicle it is so nice to just go to my tool chest and be able to fix, or even just chase and clean up, the threads on a nut or bolt. Buying new ones can nickel and dime you to death between buying the part and driving to the store, when probably 80% of the time they can be reused. It may sound like a lot to get the whole kit, but it definitely pays off over time. Put it on your Christmas/Birthday list if you don't want to spend the money yourself.
1969 Chevy C10 Short Bed
1972 Chevy C10 Long Bed *SOLD*
1996 C3500 Dually *SOLD*

Last edited by 7T2; 06-25-2011 at 02:41 PM.
7T2 is offline   Reply With Quote