View Single Post
Old 06-25-2011, 06:03 PM   #10
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: How I found My Truck...What's your story...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
A couple years ago after I bought my 67 gmc and joined this forum I saw a post from hb32. He was looking for an Offy intake for his 230 in his 65. I pm'd him. I had one I'd acquired along with a clifford valve cover on ebay. He lived in Surrey (Vancouver suburb). I told him I'd gift it to him. Early xmas present.
Anywho along about then I sold my 67 to my retired buddy Jack who lives in the same area. Jack took the intake home when he came over to pick up the 67 and hb32 picked it up. About a month later I'm looking on craig's for another truck and spy hb32's old green 65 on there. I emailed him. Got the sad story about mid-life crisis and needing money for a little red vette. Told him I'd buy his truck only if I got the Offy for FREE!!
A few days later the deal was done. Offy looks and runs great.
So in the end it's all about the connection people have because of this awesome forum.
Oh yes. His little red vette is awesome too!!
Your Offy story reminds me of my first V8 powered 54 Chevy sedan. I was determined to build one “some day”. As luck would have it, some property was being sold which required digging up and scrapping several cars buried there. One of them was a 55 Chevy sedan. Knowing I’d need the firewall mounted gas pedal pivot and linkage, I pulled off everything that was there. It was cleaned up, painted and hung on the wall. Five years later I actually did get a 54 Chevy, swapped in my very first 283, and finally got to install the first piece of the project acquired years earlier.

Getting our truck wasn’t quite so involved. In a previous life I had built a possessed 46 Ford sedan. In 8 years as my daily driver it covered 300,000 miles in every type of weather. It never let me down, but didn’t tolerate anyone else driving it, or even having another car worked on in the same garage. Any infraction resulted in immediate repercussions. The car made it with me through the divorce, but was tainted by the previous relationship. After leaving my new bride on the side of the road more than once, we decided it would be more fun to build something together that wasn’t so temperamental.

Over the years I'd looked at dozens of 60-66 Chevy trucks, but each was either rusty, beat up, or overpriced. As luck would have it, we spotted a tiny ad in a Penny Saver and called the owner on the first night the ad came out. It was a one family truck in remarkable condition. It was too dark and stormy to do a decent inspection, but I could tell right away it was in amazing condition. We shook hands and picked up the truck the following night. I briefly considered restoring it to dead stock since it was so original, but with a 305 V6 and SM420 it really wasn’t suited for the long distance high speed freeway cruiser I wanted, so we dove in right away turning it into a street rod.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote