View Single Post
Old 07-03-2011, 12:24 AM   #5
ya it is a classic

Re: have some questions about 350 performance parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
1HP per cubic inch is as easy as picking up the phone, and emptying your wallet
An 'HONEST' 350HP 350 is going to take some work. Remember the 70 Z28 350 had a 360HP 350,,, To make that they used 11:1 compression, the 186 casting heads that flowed an honest 225cfm @ 0.50, a mechanical lifter cam to make the RPMs to get to 360HP,,, and recomended 96 octane.

In short that was the BEST of the muscle car era that gave a daily drivable 350HP smallblock. Today (and I do not say this to insult anyone) you will find about 99% of the smallblocks you hear about that make "about 400HP" are really making more like 325 as installed, with all the accessories and 'real' conditions.

Today things are much easier, technology has gave us a lot,, BUT.... if your wanting to spend $1500 on a stock 350-, and expecting a honest 350HP, and 15MPG.. I think your going to fall somewhat short of the goal.

To do that in a heavy chassis like a 72 LWB,, your asking a LOT!!!
ok so what can i expect from $1500? im thinking long tube headers, i checked out the dart heads and there spendy! so if i can find some used vortecs for cheap i might go that way. a guy has a muther thumper cam for $100 but idk if thats any good. i heard it was for a street rod with an automatic transmission? also should i invest in any internal stuff like pistons, ect? i dont want to go all out but i want to be able to keep up with newer vehicles. ive raced like 5 newer pickups and lost every time. still fun thou. oh and one more thing should i get a new HEI or just find a used one? also what size?
the more i think about this the more there is i dont know! thats how it usually is thou, right? thanks for your help guys!
-chad
ya it is a classic is offline   Reply With Quote