View Single Post
Old 07-10-2011, 02:51 PM   #16
capev86

Re: Finally got one (another one that is)

yes, 350 didn't arrive until '69. if you don't have the original engine, you are better off with a 350 than a 327 in a truck (better low end/torque) if you are running a mild tuned engine.

my 72 burb c20 came with a 307 (327 crank with a smaller bore) and the only thing that allows it any kind of performance is the q-jet swap (no more 2 barrel) and a 4.10 rear. if i ever rebuild it i will put a 400 crank stroker kit in it (making it a 354) and replace the cam with a roller RV unit. i do have a 406sbc but hate to replace a perfectly good engine and the gas mileage would suck without an overdrive (saginaw 3 on the tree...but have a borg warner equipped saginaw in the works).

that is a beautiful old truck that just needs a little elbow grease to shine it up (from what i can tell from the pictures). the rear does look a little low (hate the leveled look). they make 3/4 ton lowering springs for our trucks and that might be a good idea if you want to tow with it or the springs start to sag in the future (my dad had that problem with his 72 c10 burb back in the 80's and upgraded the rear).
capev86 is offline   Reply With Quote