Thread: Barn raising
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2011, 01:15 PM   #138
crakarjax

Re: Barn raising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bradbury View Post
Well I found out what happened, I did not get a chance to see what that rod did to the rest of the engine yet. I am probably going to get a different cam and lifters just because what I have been reading about the zinc content in the mortor oil now days and how the reduced amount is shortening the life of major components in the valve train. I have priced out Crower roller lifters, and camshaft as well as higher strength push rods and it seems to be in my budget to get them now while the engine is appart.

I have not pulled the engine yet, I have been busy with work so it might have to wait for a week or so.
It is not the zinc content of the oils that was at fault, that was just a red herring. The real problem was that manufacturers changed the way that they heat treated the cam lobes to a laser method to save money. That method was flawed in the past but the kinks seem to have been ironed out. You shouldn't have any problems with standard hyd. cam or lifters IMO. Jasper is a major reseller of remanufactured engines, and they offer awesome warranties. They ship their engines with standard hyd. camshafts, and I believe that they wouldn't do so due to liability if the oil was really a problem. You can also see via Jasper's break-in procedure that the hardening process has probably improved; the procedure used to be pretty intensive and was required to be warrantied, and now the procedure is pretty lax.

BTW, what happened to your engine? I must have missed something.