View Single Post
Old 07-21-2011, 01:47 PM   #153
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

Daze57, Thanks so much for the kind words. I'd love to tear it all apart and blast each piece, but I simply don't room and I wonder if I'd stay motivated if I couldn't drive it for months/years. But I admire the guys that do that very much.

My vent rubber is rock hard and chunks have already broken away. Plus, safety glass of those days is 2 ply and has delaminated - nasty, yellow-brown bubbles between the layers - ugh! I bought new vent glass. While its all apart I'll paint the frames gloss black (we'll see, my OCD may kick in and I'll buy chrome!). Once I get into it, I think I'll see what you mean about the way it "slides" into place. Are you recommending WD-40 or dishwashing soap to slide it? Anyone else have a suggestion for the best lube to use for this purpose. Is there some material - tape, rubber, bedding of some kind - that goes between the vent glass and the frame it rides in?

Last night I pulled the sheet metal in front of the radiator, sanded, primed, painted semi gloss Rustoleum black. Did some of the inner fenders too. WIre wheeled the latch and used Rusto brite mettalic on it. "While I was in there" I sanded/painted some of the green primer around the edges in preparation for more green later. Once you start making anything look good, the rest looks SO bad!

Bit by bit fellas, bit by bit!

EDIT: PS: Pic's coming tonight; I finally bought some batteries for my camera.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote