View Single Post
Old 08-05-2003, 11:12 AM   #96
jewels.

Quote:
Originally posted by CPNE

I feel sorry for all you "newbies" that never had the pleasure of knowing Randy (aka Fast68). Nice guy but give him some acetelyne and he turned into "Mr. Hyde". Fine69 didn't share any stories about this?
CPNE, yes, i knew fast68. i have been on the board for a while, just not as involved as i have been in the last 6 months or so. i always read the posts, but rarely posted. in fact, i had another board name at the time --- ChevyLady. i probably still own that board name, i suppose. anyways, i was reading some of his old posts the other day (that i stashed on my computer). and you are right--- he is CRAZY! BTW, can anyone remember why he got kicked off? i still cant seem to recall. (or maybe its a hush hush thing, not to be discussed here.)

Quote:

Jewels, how is it possible to mount the v8 forward and not have problems with clutch linkage, shift linkage, tranny x-members and driveshaft length? Not being critical, just curious as I'm setting a sbc/3 speed in place now (yes I'm building a factory correct 3-on-the-tree truck ) and I suspect if I don't get it in the "stock" location, everything else gets mis-aligned.
LMAO! I guess you would have had to have met the guy I was working with when I rebuilt the engine. He loved to rig things up to make them work. Mike (fine69) had the pleasure of experiencing some of this guy's former work when he tackled my truck this weekend.

Hey, Mike, what do you think of Jimmy's work? What? He's a what? He is worth what? Don't ever go back to him? Are you sure?

Anyways, we didnt have any problems with the tranny because we fabricated our own driveshaft length. We pulled an extra-long drive shaft from a chevy van, and cut it down to fit. Had a shop weld it back together. (I told you Jimmy liked to 'rig' things to fit). As for the X-members, I don't remember having any issues. I'll have to get under there and look again for you.

And as for the shift linkage, that might explain why Mike was so pissed this weekend when he was adjusting it all. Although, he did an awesome job --- runs like stock. But, the linkage does run pretty close to the clutch pedal bar, which comes out of the firewall - there were some interference issues there. But, Mike managed to work around them. See:

I do remember having some issues with the clutch linkage hooking up correctly, but I think we either used a 6Cyl setup, or a backwards 8Cyl setup. (Cant remember --- I'll have to check my notes).

Overall, it was an interesting mod.
Hmm - now that I think about it --- better stick with the stock location. Get the mounts on the correct sides. I know the engine may be way back into the firewall, but you wont have clearance issues, clutch linkage to think about, or a drive shaft to fabricate!

Good luck! Let me know if you need more pics!
And let me know if you have more questions!
jewels.