View Single Post
Old 09-20-2011, 11:45 AM   #3422
DetroitDan

Re: How about some pics of 73-91 crew cabs

imo flat black is not a paint scheme. Here's my take on this phenomenom: in the old days, an unfinished project might be black primer, and eventually people started bringing their unfinished stuff out on the road, then to cruise nights and eventually to shows. Initially, it was a tiny bit cool that someone would dare to bring it out before it was done, but since then it has come full circle to where people do their entire build with the intention of painting it flat black and leaving it with the unfinished look.
Obviously my (negative) opinion of rat rod flat black is just one opinion, and since so many gearheads like it, there must be something appealing about it to many. But I just wanted to say I don't get it, I don't like it, and most of all it has been overdone these last few years. Can't we move on and complete our vehicles by painting them? WHy the need to look unfinished?
Let's leave the flat black to the true rat rods, homemade hotrods that don't have enough smooth sheet metal to justify a paint job. It just looks silly to me when a project that obviously isn't on a low budget tries to look like it is. Even worse is an unfinished primer flat black paintjob with fancy pinstriping or flames over it. ?? is it just me??