View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011, 09:20 PM   #57
SONOSADSACK

Re: Ice cream getter

Thanks for the good words.

I agree, the gaps can always be adjusted after paint but I’m planning to build the truck, tear it all the way down, add paint and bolt it all back together without any surprises. That’s the plan anyway. I worked in a body shop about fifteen years ago and recently ran into a friend of mine who is still there. He doesn’t work in the shop anymore but offered to help me out. Good people. They allowed me to come in on a Saturday when the shop is closed and use one of the racks. Never burn bridges. My friend actually did all of the real work, I just did the grunt stuff. Anyway, we found three body mounts had settled or tipped down along with the frame rail turning outward. The worst was the main support under the driver’s feet which had dropped by about a ½” and the front right frame rail was down about ½”. We also pulled the right side of the cowl ahead about ¼”. All of this gave me the gaps around the right door that I was looking for without shims and with all hinges and fender slots being on center. Now, if after paint I still want to make some small adjustments, there is room.
Name:  before rack.jpg
Views: 1374
Size:  50.1 KB
After a few tugs and getting really close
Name:  after rack.jpg
Views: 1384
Size:  48.4 KB
SONOSADSACK is offline   Reply With Quote