View Single Post
Old 10-01-2011, 04:45 PM   #117
68Gold/white

Re: 1969 C10 SWB Stepside - Big Block project

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC69Rat View Post
Dad and I pulled the bb yesterday and it is now on a stand, headed to the machine shop. I am going to go completely back through it (like I probably should have to begin with, but I just took his word for it) The end result being better than it would have been before anyway. Had I finsihed the truck, had it all painted then spun that main I would have been upset. I'd rather find it now ..

While it's apart (?) Who knows .. maybe some more goodies will find a new home. I have been eyeballing aluminum heads, maybe the Brodix or Dart top end kit. It's hard to say. It has the '290' 454 heads on it now which will flow pretty decent but just for the sake of weight on the nose and overall efficiency I'd really like to go with them. I just need to get the blessing from the wife.

We'll get it. One thing is for sure I'm not giving up.
Looking good in the neighbor hood!!!

Aluminum heads for a 396 is a little different deal than a 454 or 496. You've got a smaller bore and less cubes. Most of the big block heads have huge chambers for larger displacement engines. There's nothing wrong w/ building a 396, done correctly, they can run w/ the big dogs.

I'd like to build the original 396 in mine, it will have to wait for a while.
My thought would be to call Brodix, they seem to have the largest selection of heads out there. I trust their product highly. They could direct you to the head you need. Or maybe make you something custom???

I am not familiar w/ the "290" heads. They might be a good head to run on the 396. THe smaller "open" chamber heads are a pretty good head to use. I'm mostly only familiar w/ small block stuff, the familiarlty is fading, the older I get...LOL

Do you have flat top pistons???

I plan to use oval port heads on mine.

I hate it when you asssume someone else has done a job right, you've paid money for, to find out different...
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote