View Single Post
Old 10-03-2011, 11:21 PM   #1
jocko

Single to Dual Res Master Cylinder Conversion

First of all - a big thank you to Chief Rocka for his great write-up on how to do this ("splitting the lines"), it helped me a lot, as did Chief in a few PMs (Thanks Chief).

After surviving my new T5's test drive, the brakes locked up as I pulled into my driveway (quite fortunate, actually... If they're gonna lock up, there's no better place than where you're gonna park it anyway).

So, had been mulling over a disk swap or a power drum/drum setup, but in then end, I just wanted to get this thing back on the road. Spent most of the summer on blocks for the T5 swap which is finally done. I had the correct non-power 67 C10 dual master laying around and the brake lines, so I just went for it. I still may add a booster, I have the good Captain's bracket already, but will need to purchase a new master and booster for that setup. I had a booster that would work, but bought the wrong master (i.e. a non-power, deep bore rod-piston master - the one in these pics...)

Also, on a side note, I was itching to try out my Speedomotive (I think it was anyway) pressure bleeder so I could avoid pestering all my neighbors with the bleeding process.... In the end, the neighbor had to come over to pump the brakes and the pressure bleeder ended up in the garbage - that turd would NOT seal to the master worth a darn especially with the cheesy chain link holding system it has, but it also didn't work with giant c-clamps. Or, worse yet, it WOULD seal, then let go when you least expect it. That's the danger with these pressure bleeders - if it even "thinks" about leaking, it's gonna be catastrophic under 15 psi - fluid EVERYwhere. I took TWO, yes TWO DOT 3 brake fluid showers that day.... Glad I got that itch out of my system - from now on, I'll just pester the neighbors, thank you.

Anyhoo, I'm safer with the dual res master at least. Braking perf is good, but really no better than with the single pot master - but that's what I expected - just switching to a same bore dia dual res master really shouldn't improve performance relative to a functioning single res, just adds safety. But it looks a little nicer I think. Learned a lot - probably bent each brake line twice to get it right, but hey, that's part of the fun.

Thanks again Chief - your thread gave me the idea how to do this. And by the way, since going from a non-power single res master cyl to a non-power dual res master cyl and both had the same depth rod hole - no adjustment was required for the push rod. Sweet! So now she's on the road again, and all I have left to fix is a squeaky speedo cable, a little more bleeding, grease the pedals. Oh yeah, and rebuild the motor. But that's another day.

Here's some pics (and I discovered that my firewall was originally that champagne/fawn/thingy color in the process. Cool!)
Attached Images

Last edited by jocko; 10-03-2011 at 11:28 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote