View Single Post
Old 11-17-2011, 10:51 AM   #17
special-K
Special Order

Re: "Hot Rod" Bicycles

I ended up having to sell my old Schwinns last spring. I had an old Streamliner with tank and all. I still have a Typhoon left to build something,though. It's not quite what people are building these days,but back around 1980 I build a "Clunker",the predecessor to the mountain bike before they were made. It started with an old Columbia springer (w/fork lock) frame I found in an old farm dump on the mountain. I read about Clunkers being built in Marin Co,CA and Crested Butte,CO and went to work. Beach cruisers had hit the scene so I found some cool anodized aluminum parts and converted some BMX parts. I grabbed a tandem bike rear drum brake,found a vintage diaper pin seat,and Ashtabula crank,and the hardest thing was finding knobby tires in 2.125 x 26. I had to grind the front sprocket to work with the pitch/width of the derailleur type chain. The front pouch carries a patch kit and tools and there used to be a gold anondized Zefal tire pump mounted under the top bar. It hasn't been ridden in years. It's a pioneer of the off road bicycle movement and I have considered donating it to the national mountain bike museum in Crested Butte. But,I dunno,I don't think I could let this old relic go:

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote