Thread: ls turbo build
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2011, 03:09 PM   #14
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: ls turbo build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 250r View Post
My thoughts start with a 6.0 lq4 or lq9, lq4 has flat top pistons which some say is better for boost as compared to the dished lq9 pistons, plenty of 5.3/6.0/6.2 making that much hp on stock internals really depends on how hard you are gonna drive it and how much boost. Leave the intake alone and put the money into the heads such as Mast motorsports ls heads if you can afford them. You could hypothetically run it without an intercooler to save money my dad has been running his whipple supercharged 5.3 suburban for........ about 6 or more years without an intercooler or any aftermarket injection i think it runs at 6-8lbs i would have to ask, meth injection is not needed i don't think unless its more track orientated.

Not an expert either just have done exhaustive amounts of research and asked my dad more questions than humanely possible but here is some ls engine info if needed http://pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/LSPrimer/Part1/ check out part 2 for truck stuff
Lq4 has the dished pistons, lq9 runs flat tops.

You don't have to intercool a supercharger if you can keep IATs down, but most of the centri hairdryers on late models benefit a lot from it... As for a turbo, intercooling is damn near a requirement; if you want to drive it on the street, or do a few passes before full heat soak. Non intercooled turbo cars are usually track only, and are also running either meth or nitrous to cool the air charge and prevent detonation. Otherwise they may be running race gas.
(before anyone says it, yes there were non-intercooled turbo cars from the factory in the 80's....they were replaced for a reason )

Meth can be used on track or street vehicles, and for the low cost (less than $300 bough, less than $150 built) its a budget way to keep the boost up without knocking. The only downside is to keeping a meth tank full (still pretty damn cheap.)

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote