Thread: Birth of a C10
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2011, 09:16 PM   #64
losthope

Re: Birth of a C10

Latest up date:

Went to pick-n-pull on thanksgiving weekend when everything was 1/2 off,and got some front bumper brace's, a 1 1/4 sway bar off a 80's c20 and then pulled a rear sway bar off a camero it all came to $35:

First thing i wanted to tackle was the rear sway bar, after taking the links of the ends of the bars(because they will be installed opposite of the way the came off camero) I mocked the bar up:

the brake bracket on the axle has to move and since i didnt want to undo the brake lines i just carefully cut it off:

then i centered the bar on the axle:

used the old wear marks to mark the axle:

then since the camero axle is 2 3/4 the saddles have to be ground out to fit 3" axle:

Then bolted it all together had to bend the tips of the ubolt back to 2 3/4 to go thur the saddle using some big pairs of channel lock pliers saw somewhere else someone welded the saddles on but i wanted mine to be bolt on:

i the let the truck down and the frame was resting on the bushing hold downs so i had to move mine over since my truck is so low with out a c-notch, once i get my c-notch ill see about moving them back over to the very end:

next i mocked up the link bracket and drilled holes and as you can see their is about a one inch gap where the bracket will be bolted on the link on the bar:

All they had at home depot was some thin walled square stock so i just bought some big nuts and used them as spacers and bolted it together and it is strong as hell if i find some solid stock of aluminum or thick walled square tubing ill redo it;

Then i measured for my link,you want the bar to be parallel with the ground for the bar to work right:

Measured where to cut the link spacer and i am using a new bolt thats threaded the camero had a bolt with a shoulder that the threads only went so far:

bolted it all in and cut the excess of the link bolt and its installed:

everything was repeated in steps on the other side the only thing left to do is make a new bracket holder for the brake lines. I plan on doing bed wood, rear tank and c-notch so i didnt worry about painting it untill i take the bed or the bed wood out plus it match's the rest of the under carriage . next up front sway bar!

"What that grinding noise?Don't worry about that it will eventually clearance itself!"

1966 chevy c10 Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=485977

1954 ford customline
H.A.M.B 54 Build Thread:http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=622142

Last edited by losthope; 11-26-2011 at 09:23 PM.
losthope is offline   Reply With Quote