View Single Post
Old 12-02-2011, 06:48 PM   #6
Firebirdjones

Re: 1970 4x4 revival, LS questions should I go 5.3 or 6.0??

Mine is a drive by wire. If that's what you wind up with, make sure you also get the gas pedal as well as the little control box. That control box alone is about $500 if you have to buy one.

Getting rid of the MAF is a tuning option. The MAF is basically a fuel control device that senses incoming air. Without it you basically run the engine in Speed Density and it uses the VE tables exclusively according to what AFR you want to run.

The MAF is also a very sensitive device, with a small heated wire. If that gets dirty it skews the readings and causes lean or rich conditions, eratic idle, poor performance etc. and they slowly degrade over time..I also view it as a restriction in the air flow. Although they will generally support about 450 hp before that happens. They can also fail without warning as with any electronic device.
Another advantage to removing it is when doing these retro swaps into older vehicles, it gives you more room to run an air intake system when things are tight. In the Blazers, you have plenty though.
I like to also think of it as one more expensive device I don't have to buy. For some reason, GM is the only manufacture I'm aware of that still uses an MAF. You don't see them on Chrysler and Ford products.

By removing it, it's also one less fuel table that you have to worry about dialing in when tuning.

I have always tuned our 4th gen camaro's and removed the MAF's. I've gotten a slight gain in RWHP but the main reason (other than what I mentioned) is that I really like the snappy throttle response when these engines are in SD mode, there is no delay.

The only real obstacle to watch for is the intake air temp (IAT). Starting in about 2003 (maybe sooner on the truck MAF's) the IAT was incorporated into the MAF. The IAT is something that should stay. So in order to remove the MAF you'll need an IAT relocation kit. Basically a wire that plugs in and runs over to a small IAT sensor. This sensor can be located anywhere in the air intake track. Simply drill a hole and it pushes into a robber grommet.

I forgot to mention another good reason for the 6.0. I do a fair amount of mild towing with mine, a small 12' utility trailer as well as a short camper. Living in a mountain terrain type environment, the extra power comes in handy. You'll like that 6.0
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote