View Single Post
Old 12-04-2011, 08:36 PM   #54
47thriftmaster

Re: '72 K5 Blazer CST = Yet another Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by dujobu View Post
Really nice work on those axles. I'm about to restore mine, and am curious…what method(s) did you use to clean then up? And what products did you use to paint them? Did you have the axles powder coated?
After seeing your question I thought to myself, why didn't I take pictures of each stage. I did that with the frame and all other parts. But anyway, first I cleaned them with a de-greaser in my parts cleaner. Then I taped off the axle shafts and sand blasted the heads of each axle, next was to clean them off again, tape them again then powder coat in iron grey. Once that was done I taped them off one more time, but this time at the 1/16" angle at the false hubs, light scuff and cleaning. Lastly I painted the false hubs with Rust-Oleum high temp blue paint, (It was the only color I could find here that matched the original color of the hubs, front and back, it also has better gas and oil resistance) then cured them with a heat gun. For the shafts, I just cleaned them, did not want to risk scuffing or mess up the balance even though its hardened steal, so they will remain bare.

47thriftmaster is offline   Reply With Quote