View Single Post
Old 12-09-2011, 06:39 PM   #32
von guido

Re: 400-450hp 355 on a budget?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
AMEN,, I always try to sit on my hands and try so hard to keep my mouth shut when I see "makes about" or "makes over" (not say anything about anyone here).

I apologize in advance for whatever feathers I may ruffle here but.........

the kid brought it up so,,, RE: those 'unfounded' claims...... inquiring minds want to know, SAYS WHO???

Desktop dyno is a joke, and to add... everyone inserts these lavish parameters when they don't know the 'real' answer. DDyno is foolishly optimistic anyways (it sells product so that's all they care about). So with pipe dreams thrown in they get a insanely inflated # to throw around the internet with the disclaimer of "about" or "more than" or my personal pet-peeve,,,, the same as some magazine build (but different ) and the article was nothing but a paid advertisement in the first place!!! . (and that is not pointing fingers at anyone,, just saying)
Programs like Performance Trends Engine Analyzer will give an honest estimate IF 100% factual and exacting data is input. Shaun has proved that over and over. But he doesn't GUESS at anything, and EA asks more questions than most, but experienced engine builders would know.

BUT,,, nothing is the 'real' answer except a true SuperFlo computerized engine dyno.

OK, sorry to those I offended,, and rant off
I can usually guess pretty close to what a motor is gonna put out if i have all the specs laid out...its not rocket science.. however, i have been in the racing parts biz for years and raced even longer and cant count how many dyno sessions i have been to.

On my sbc build i listed, i based the combo off of a trick flow top end kit they used to offer. It was a 440hp kit if memory serves me right. I used a different cam that i knew wouldnt make as much hp but more torque and was guessing i would make 390-400 hp. I was pretty damn close but that was based off of a verified combo where i only changed 1 variable