View Single Post
Old 12-24-2011, 05:50 PM   #37
argonaut

Re: 66 4x4 my sons new project

Finally got some work done on old Big-Ugly. Unfortunately I didn't get any photos because I was busy all day and didn't finish until it was dark out.

Body:
I dismantled the front end sheet metal and removed the cab. I discovered that nearly every panel on the truck is originally from a different truck, based on the factory paint that is underneath the orange. I'm keeping what little is re-useable and scrapping the rest. I think all I'm saving is the radiator support, the inner fenders, steering column and the small parts from the cab. The cab, fenders, front facia and grill, bumper, etc are all going for scrap. I don't think there is a single exterior body panel that doesn't have severe cancer or multiple dents. The same goes for the bed once I get it cleaned out and pulled off of the frame. I'll only keep the bed rails. I'll be transplanting the body from a 62 that I recently bought, once I finished fixing up the frame and drivetrain. Then I'll be on the lookout for a big window cab.

Front Axle:
So once I got it stripped down to the frame I went to work on the chassis and suspension. I pulled of the old brake lines and the steering gearbox, then pulled the closed knuckle Dana 44 front axle (anyone want an original closed knuckle front axle in unknown condition?). Rolled that out of the way and rolled in the replacement 73 open knuckle Dana 44. It is complete from end to end including the power steering gearbox. Two things I need to get are gearbox mount kit for the 60-66 and a stock steering arm for the axle. The 73 blazer that I pulled the axles from had a 4" lift kit on it with a 4" lifted steering arm. I may lift the truck in the future but for now I'm just trying to get everything assembled into one piece.

While I had the axle housing out I inspected the front suspension. Shocks are shot of course, as well as all the leaf spring bushings. I also noticed that the rear shackles looked like they were home-made. After comparing to my Dad's truck last night they are in fact "after market". Although they were made out of 1/4" thick steel and basically the same as stock just an inch or so longer. That probably explains why the PO had some shims between the leafs and the perches on the front axle.

Cool things I noticed:
While getting intimate the the truck I started to notice a few unique aspects of the 4x4 chassis. The front crossmember that supports the radiator has some additional braces the extend forward on the frame. Also the radiator supports are actually separate brackets that bolt onto the frame; one bolt on top and two in the side. Obviously the frame is deeper on the K-series trucks. And the front upper shock mounts have the nice outer supports stock.

Chassis:
Then I started moving backward on the chassis. It looks like the truck saw some abuse back in the day. The upper crossmember for the transfer case looked like it had failing rivets. So the PO had sloppily drilled four new holes and put bolts in. I removed the bolts and cut the rivets off to completely remove the crossmember. While pounding on the rivets I discovered that below all the caked on grease and grime the PO had also welded the bottoms of the rivets to the crossmember. Ugh. So I cut the welds and ground it all down and finally pounded the rivet slugs out. I'll bolt it back in with grade 8 hardware and hardened washers, the right way.

Then, after I was very sore and tired I went and picked up my T221 transfer case from my Dad. Its complete and probably just needs a full set of seals and gaskets and some fresh gear oil.

One thing I noticed I do need is the actuator for the E-brake that mounts to the back of the TC crossmember. There is a bolt on slide bracket and a pivot bar that I need to get my hands on.

That was enough work for one day. Next week I'll get the transfer case and the engine and transmission in place to make sure I'm not missing anything. I also need to get the frame cut down and re-welded to make it into a short wheel base. Anyone in the Southern California area know of a good welder who can re-weld the frame?

1972 K5 Blazer CST, Turquoise
1966 K20 Short Fleet Pickup, Big Ugly
1964 C10 Short Fleet, Gertrude

2001 Porsche 911 Carrera
1996 Ford Bronco XLT
1980 Jeep Wagoneer

2008 Honda CBR1000RR
2005 Honda RC51
1981 Honda CB750C

No dis-assemble Johnny Five! No dis-assemble!

Last edited by argonaut; 12-24-2011 at 05:59 PM.
argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote