View Single Post
Old 12-28-2011, 08:08 AM   #24
BigBlocksRule

Re: 1993 C1500 project: 4.3L to 7.4L swap > 454SS clone

Wow, sounds like you've had more than your share of problems with the 9.5" semi-floater. I've had 3 trucks with 'em that I worked hard and have never experienced any of the situations you described. Maybe the drivers were revving 'em up before dropping 'em in gear or dropping the clutch???

And ZooMad, you ain't going to get any Ford 9" built that's 2 - 3 times the strength of a 9.5" semi floater for anywhere near $600. Biggest you can slip in with stock parts is 31 spline, the Chevy semi-floater has 33 splines and similar bearing support to the 9". Once you go aftermarket, the sky is the limit, just like the pricing. I've seen dozens of 9" rearends puke the pinion out the front, it takes a nodular center section and Daytona pinion support to help cure this problem, should take 750hp or so with that and aftermarket axles. Again, I've NEVER seen a 9.5" puke the pinion out the front or otherwise blown up from too much power. I know a couple of guys with 454SS trucks with turbos putting out close to 1000rwhp, all they've done is upgraded the carrier to a good posi/locker.
The 8.5" is another animal, I wouldn't run one in anything with power, period.

DirtyLarry, I'm not trying to talk you into running a 9.5" rearend...it's your money and in the end, you need to be comfortable with how you spend it.
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote